Wednesday, February 9, 2011

On Harmonicas and Finding Opportunities in Unexpected Places

The other day, while setting up our shop on Art Fire (http://www.artfire.com/users/KewishDesigns) I came across an area called "Forge." Being a metalsmith, I could not resist a tab with a name like that. It turns out that "Forge' is a for people to post special requests...Looking for a bear sculpture sitting like a laughing Buddha...or...lampwork beads shaped like roses...or this one: I am looking for crafters to create a case/box to hold my harmonica.

For some reason this last one caught my attention. A case for a harmonica? Really? Turns out, the musician's name is Robert Hoffman and he has a collection of more than 300 hand crafted harmonica cases. Apparently it is a passion in his life. There is even a you tube video: 



Intrigued, I sent Mr. Hoffman an email and after a bit of correspondence he commissioned me to make a harmonica case. Today I received a letter in the mail with a check and a harmonica. The former is a down payment, the latter is to assist me in making the case. Cool!

I guess the lesson here is to always be alert to opportunities. You never know from where they might come.

Peace. Love. Happiness.


Joshua Kewish

No comments:

Post a Comment