Saturday, April 23, 2011

Piece a Week #16: Getting closer

I almost completed a piece for this week. Visions of wire forged on the necklace mandrel filled my thoughts while trying to fall asleep.

I had a plan.

This is as far as the plan went:


Necklace mandrel with copper shaped and ready to forge.
My left arm and hand still doesn't have the strength I need to hold down the wire while I hammer with the other hand.

I stopped that plan and began to look at the copper wire. As usual, I began to see something else...two somethings as a matter-of-fact.

I ended up cutting the piece into two other pieces and plan to add in a third piece that I have already completed.

I sat down with my, now THREE pieces of silver-on-copper wire, bronze wire and some very pretty faceted pink opal beads - and immediately dumped out a container of findings. Ok...there's a mess to clean up. Next - the bronze wire won't go through the opals. Plan B - other wires do not go through the opal beads. Try another bead - how about a pearl?

How about I stab myself with the bronze wire ... ? Blood everywhere.

*sigh*

It was time to say "uncle" and push the pause button on this project.

Meanwhile I have the new Ornament magazine - I am always in awe of the work that they feature - and read a magnificent article about Charles Pinckney. He calls his work "wearable sculpture." Each piece has a name and narrative to go with it.


I've had an interesting idea for my work that I have not acted on...and that is going to change.

Stay tuned to future "Piece a Week" posts...I have a feeling they are going to be a bit different!

(Lisa Kewish)

No comments:

Post a Comment